- Area: It presents indicators on the importance of the crop in relation to the cultivated area
- Position of the crop in relation to the cultivated area: Indicates the position in which the rice crop is located in relation to the area cultivated with other crops at the national level
- Rice area in relation to arable land at the national level: Proportion of the area cultivated with rice over the total area cultivated with crops at the national level, excluding the area destined for animal production (grasslands)
- Rice area in relation to the area under temporary crops at the national level: Proportion of the area under rice in relation to the total area under crops at the national level, excluding the area for animal production (grassland) and the area for permanent crops
- Production value: It presents economic indicators that contextualize the importance of rice cultivation in relation to value of production. Is expressed in nominal values in local currency
- Agricultural GDP (Value Added): Sum of the value added of crop production at the national level. The value of animal production is excluded
- Value of rice production: Estimated gross value of rice production
- Value of cereal production: Sum of estimated gross value for all cereals grown nationally
- Planted area : Area under rice cultivation (hectares)
- Production : Harvested quantity (tons of paddy rice)
- Yield : Average yield (tons of paddy rice per hectare)
- CONARROZ. (2020). Reporte de Área y Producción. Sistema de Información Del Sector Agropecuario Costarricense. http://www.infoagro.go.cr/EstadisticasAgropecuarias/PRODUCCIONDESEMPENOPRODUCTIVO/Paginas/ReporteAreaProduccion.aspx
- DANE. (2020). Estadísticas Agropecuarias. Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadística. https://www.dane.gov.co/index.php/estadisticas-por-tema/agropecuario
- Fedearroz. (2020). Estadísticas Arroceras. Federación Nacional de Arroceros. http://www.fedearroz.com.co/new/index.php#
- IBGE. (2019). Produção Agrícola Municipal. Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatistica. https://www.ibge.gov.br/estatisticas/economicas/agricultura-e-pecuaria/9201-LEVANTAMENTO-SISTEMATICO-DA-PRODUCAO-AGRICOLA.html?t=resultados
- INEC. (2019). Encuesta de Superficie y Producción Agropecuaria Continua. Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos. https://www.ecuadorencifras.gob.ec/estadisticas-agropecuarias-2/
- INEC. (2020). Superficie Sembrada y Cosecha de Arroz, Maíz y Frijol de Bejuco. Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censo de Panamá. http://www.inec.gob.pa/publicaciones/Default2.aspx?ID_CATEGORIA=4&ID_SUBCATEGORIA=11
- MDRyT. (2016). Producción Agrícola por Departamento—Serie Histórica. Observatorio Agroambiental y Productivo. http://www.observatorioagro.gob.bo/
- MGAP. (2020). Anuarios Estadístico de la Oficina de Estadísticas Agropecuarias (DIEA). Ministerio de Ganadería, Agricultura y Pesca de La República Oriental Del Uruguay. http://www.mgap.gub.uy/unidad-organizativa/oficina-de-programacion-y-politicas-agropecuarias/publicaciones/anuarios-diea
- MAGyP. (2019). Datos Agroindustriales—Estimaciones agrícolas. Dirección Nacional de Estimaciones, Delegaciones y Estudios Económicos - Ministerio de Agricultura, Ganadería y Pesca de Argentina. https://datos.agroindustria.gob.ar/
- MINAGRI. (2019). Serie de Estadísticas de Producción Agrícola (SEPA). Ministerio de Agricultura y Riego. http://frenteweb.minagri.gob.pe/sisca/
- Ministerio de Agricultura. (2019). Estadísticas Agropecuarias. Ministerio de Agricultura de la República Dominicana. http://agricultura.gob.do/category/estadisticas-agropecuarias
- ODEPA. (2020, April). Estadísticas Productivas. Oficina de Estudios y Políticas Agrarias - Ministerio de Agricultura de Chile. https://www.odepa.gob.cl/rubros/cereales
- SIAP. (2019). Anuario Estadístico de la Producción Agrícola. Servicio de Información Agroalimentaria y Pesquera. https://nube.siap.gob.mx/cierreagricola/
- Indicators : Presents indicators on rice foreign trade for selected countries
- Value of imports and value of exports : Time series of the value of rice imports in relation to the value of exports. Annual aggregate values for all destination/origin countries as appropriate.
- Quantity of imports and quantity of exports : Time series of the quantity of rice imported in relation to the quantity of rice exported. Annual aggregate values for all destination/origin countries as appropriate.
- Balance of rice supply at the national level : Total quantity of white rice marketed at the national level. This value is composed of the quantity produced, quantity exported and quantity imported.
- Value of rice exports and imports in relation to total food and beverage exports : Ratio of the total value of rice imports/exports to the total value of food and beverage exports/imports for a given year.
- Trade flow: Trade flow: This tool presents in detail the flow of rice exports and imports for a given year, detailing the destinations or origins as appropriate, as well as the quantity and value for a selected year. This flow also allows disaggregating values and quantities according to the tariff item group of rice (Paddy, brown, white and broken rice) to which it refers.
To use the tool, you can select different filters described below:
- Country : Country from which you want to view the information collected.
- Concept : Exports/imports of rice.
- Element: : Quantity / value of the selected concept.
- Level : European Union rice tariff sub-item group (1006). In this case you can select for rice in general (Rice) or according to type of rice.
- Product : Enabled by selecting 'Rice type' in the level filter. The four groups correspond to the European Union tariff classification subheadings Paddy Rice (1006 10), Brown Rice (1006 20), White Rice (1006 30), and Broken Rice (1006 40). For more information on the tariff classification of rice according to sub-heading, please refer to the following link: http://www.serloahn.com/Clasificacion_Arancelaria.php?page=1
- Year : Year for which you want to visualize the information collected
In the time series of the national rice supply balance, significant differences are observed between the periods from 1961 to 2013 and 2014 to 2017. This is due to differences in the methodology used for the calculation of food balance sheets from FAO. Through the food balance sheets, FAO estimates the quantities of food produced, imported and exported; as well as its different uses within the respective national territories. As of 2014, FAO changed the methodology for estimating these indicators, resulting in significant changes in the temporal trend of the indicators, which is why the values can vary significantly between time periods, as well as from other reference sources on rice consumption at the national level. For more information, you can visit the metadata section of the new FAO Food Balance Sheets. http://www.fao.org/faostat/es/#data/FBS/metadata
Values and quantities referring to re-exports (when a good is imported to be exported) and re-imports (when a good that has been exported is imported again); as well as quantities destined or coming from free zones, overseas territories, ships, airplanes and other destinations or origins that do not correspond to a specified country within the map were reassigned within a single category called Non-Specified Geographical Area (NES Area, by its Spanish Acronym).
All import values are expressed in CIF values and exports in FOB values. Quantities of rice are expressed in white rice equivalent for the case of the aggregate tariff heading, while the quantities according to sub-heading are expressed in relation to the rice indicated in that heading (paddy, brown, white, or broken)..
- ITC. (2020). Trade Map—Estadísticas de comercio internacional para el desarrollo de los negocios. International Trade Centre. https://www.trademap.org/Index.aspx
- UN Comtrade. (2019). Base de datos de estadísticas de comercio internacional. United Nations International Trade Statistics Database. https://comtrade.un.org/
to soon you have data in this section
- Overview of consumption : It presents indicators on the importance of culture in relation to its consumption
- Rice position relative to other plant-based food : Indicates the ordinal position in which the rice is in relation to the consumed amount of other plant-based food. Were excluded from the analysis all animal-based foods and alcoholic beverages
- Per-capita consumption : Estimated amount of rice consumed per person year. This value is calculated from the national rice consumption in relation to the population for a given year. This value should be understood as a national average estimate, which may vary significantly within a country.
- Contribution to daily caloric intake : Ratio of the estimated caloric intake of per capita rice consumption to the estimated daily caloric intake for all foods consumed nationally.
- Average family size : Average number of members per household at the national level.
- Consumer price : Average price of 1 kilogram of white rice to the consumer. Nominal value expressed in dollars for a given year.
- Average annual household expenditure on rice : Estimate of the spent on rice by an average household, considering the average annual consumer price of white rice, per capita consumption and average household size. Nominal value expressed in dollars for ta given year.
- Historical consumption: It presents economic indicators that contextualize the importance of rice cultivation in relation to the value of production. Values are expressed in nominal values in local currency
- Rice consumption at the national level : Estimated value of the amount of rice consumed throughout the country, expressed in thousands of tons of white rice.
- Consumption from imports : Estimated amount of domestic rice consumption from imports, expressed in thousands of tons of white rice. In this case, it is assumed that all imported rice is destined for domestic consumption. Quantities destined for re-export, seed, animal feed or other uses are not considered.
- Per-capita consumption :Estimated amount of rice consumed per person year. This value is calculated from the national rice consumption in relation to the population for a given year. This value should be understood as a national average estimate, which may vary significantly within a country.
- FAO. (2020). Herramienta de Seguimiento y Análisis de los Precios Alimentarios (FPMA). Sistema Mundial de Información y Alerta Sobre La Alimentación y La Agricultura (SMIA). http://www.fao.org/giews/food-prices/tool/public/#/home
- Naciones Unidas. (2019). Base de datos de tamaño y composición de hogares. Departamento de Las Naciones Unidas Sobre Asuntos Económicos y Sociales, División de Población. https://population.un.org/Household/index.html#/countries/840
The Grain Quality section of the observatory consists of three parts:
Grain quality catalog of Latin American and Caribbean rice varieties :Presents grain quality information on 132 rice varieties from 16 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. White rice samples of these varieties were analyzed during 2017 to 2019 at FLAR´s Rice Grain Quality Laboratory. The characteristics evaluated were: white center, grain length, grain shape (Length/Width), amylose content and gelatinization temperature. In addition, a sample photograph from each variety is presented. This characterization was performed on single samples provided by plant breeders from FLAR member organizations, harvested in different environments and under non-standardized post-harvest handling and milling conditions. Therefore, this information may not represent the typical characteristics of the varieties in their countries of origin.
Methodologies developed in the quality catalog
- Photography : It was taken in a light camera with a NIKON camera model D7100 with AF-S NIKKOR 18-105 MM 1:3.5-5.6G ED VR DX lens.
- Laboratory tests : The following tests were performed Grain appearanceWhite Center Long Length / Width (L / W)Culinary qualityAmylose content Gelatinization temperature
- Varieties comparator :It is a tool that allows interaction with the varieties obtained from the 16 countries, users can compare the grain quality characteristics between all the listed varieties
- Digital repository of technical standards for grain quality in Latin American and Caribbean countries :grain quality standards, industrial grain quality standards and rice seed production and distribution standards.
- CENTRO INTERNACIONAL DE AGRICULTURA TROPICAL. 1989. Evaluación de la calidad culinaria y molinera del arroz; guía de estudio para ser usada como complemento de la unidad audio tutorial sobre el mismo tema. Contenido científico: César Martinez, Federico Cuevas. Producción: Luz Medina. Cali, Colombia. CIAT 73 p. (Serie 04SR-07.01). Pag. 27-42
- AACC. 2000. American Association of Cereal Chemists. Approved Methods. (11th. ed.). Determination of the pasting properties of rice with the Rapid Visco Analyser. Method 61-02.01. Saint Paul, MN, USA
to soon you have data in this section
to soon you have data in this section
to soon you have data in this section